1) It’s an honour to have you on Aquilaspeaks kindly go ahead and give a brief introduction of yourself.
1. I’m Gabriella Amy Malonda commonly known as Amy or Gabby depending on which country I’m in. LOL. Proudly Zambian.
2) How did you find yourself in this field?
2. I’ve always loved the arts as a kid I just didn’t know which side of it until I started my journey to self discovery.
3) Did you have any doubts in yourself when you just begun?
3. Yes of course! I thought I was losing my mind to want to start a clothing brand with $50.
4) Do you consider yourself a Zambian designer or an international designer?
4. Well I’m Zambian and live in China what would that mean? 😂😂😂 Zambians barely even buy my clothes. So international it is.
5) I am very aware that you are currently based in China. How do you use this location to advantage if there are any at all?
5. I live in a country where possibilities are endless it’s just a matter of being resourceful and open minded.
6) You were some time last year featured on CTGN. How did that experience play for you?
6. It played out well actually. Nothing better than getting a little Recognition in a foreign land. They say be the change you want to see. And I want to do that in this industry.
7) State your top 3 designers and which designer inspires you the most and why?
7. Fenty( Rihanna), Balmain( Olivier Rousteig) & David Tlale… they all correspond with my personality, a little bit of elegance, sass and fierce.
8) Your clothing line was displayed at the recent Shanghai black fashion week. How would you describe that experience?
8. That Experience was Amazing, loved every bit of it. Nothing sweet comes without sweat right ? It paid off the sleepless nights.
9) Is the Zambian designing field progressing profusely? What would you say about it?
9. It really is progressing but at a slow rate and that’s because designers need to be on their toes and do more research in their field as well as encourage Zambians to get with the program. Fashion is what you buy, Style is how you wear it.
10) How has been the response from Zambia in terms of support and purchasing your products?
10. It’s Slow, Zambians don’t like to support each other. They support the hype! What’s happening right now! Kinda vibe.
11)Would you mind sharing some of your highest and Lowest moments in your career?
11. When I Great creative block, it’s gets really frustrating.. it’s like a doddling like a child with no direction.. 😂! Highest hasn’t occurred yet! Still got lots to do. I’m still a new born to this industry
12) What would your words be to young girls back in Zambia?
12. Young girls in Zambia. Start being more independent, find your yourself. Discover your purpose and fulfil it not matter the career path.
13) Lastly, where can we buy your merchandise?
13. I currently don’t ship out of China. But can be purchased from me directly. I don’t mind sharing my contact information.
AquilaSpeaks wishes to thank Amy for her time to stop by our blog. Wish you all the best in your future career pursuits. Hope all the readers are inspired and especially many young women out there as this post was hugely centred on woman empowerment. You can reach Amy for more information as per the information given below. Great weekend Abena Zambia. 👍